鐵人有兩種，一種是能夠海泳的鐵人，一種是背浮標用走的也算的鐵人。欸不是，是鐵人中有一種稀有品種，那就是AWA（All World Athletes）鐵人，此鐵人還分金銀銅三個等級，要拿到IRONMAN認證的賽事積分，累計達到各分齡組前1％、5％、10％才有資格。
AGR Points System Break Down
以IRONMAN 70.3賽事來說，第一名積分可獲得3500點，之後每多一分鐘扣18點。今年IRONMAN 70.3墾丁M40-44分齡組第一名的完賽成績4:37:03獲得3500點，第二名成績4:48:19差了11分16秒，11 x 18 + 16 x 0.3 （每秒扣0.3） = 202.8，因此他的點數為3500 – 202.8 = 3297點。
- IRONMAN因為有不同距離的賽事，計算AWA排名也分成三大組，總和組（包含 IRONMAN／IRONMAN 70.3／5150）、IRONMAN 組、IRONMAN 70.3 組。
- IRONMAN賽事第一名可獲得5000點，之後每多一分鐘扣12點，但只要參加就保證獲得1000點；IRONMAN 70.3賽事第一名可獲得3500點，之後每多一分中扣18點，但只要參加就保證獲得700點。
AWA鐵人除了在IRONMAN賽事中享有禮遇報到通道外，泳帽和號碼布也是另外客製，IRONMAN總部每年也會寄送專屬小禮，像是專屬車貼和鑰匙圈，看起來很有質感啊！2020-2021的台灣籍AWA選手總共有82位（2019-2020累積積分），有些選手雖然成績優異，但積分不夠無法上榜。希望未來有更多台灣選手一起挑戰IRONMAN賽事，雖然過程可能很艱辛，但在通過終點時聽到主持人喊出「You are an IRONMAN!」，不只體現你堅持不懈的鐵人精神，也相信這些努力的成果將會帶給你滿滿的感動！
There are two types of IRONMAN, one is IRONMAN and the other is Tony Stark Iron Man. Just kidding! But there is actually a rare breed of athletes who prove they are IRONMAN status worthy – AWA (All World Athletes). These are athletes who work hard, race hard and celebrate hard and are rewarded by IRONMAN as a sign of recognition to their dedication and hard work. There are three levels of All World Athletes, Gold (top 1%), Silver (top 5%), and Bronze (top 10%). Since IRONMAN events are varied from distances, you can refer to the chart below for the points system break down.
Taking IRONMAN 70.3 for example, the maximum points are 3500 and they diminish by 18 points per minute. In this year’s IRONMAN 70.3 Kenting, the first finisher’s result in the age group M40-44 was 4:37:03 so he got 3500 points. The second finisher’s result was 4:48:19 which was 0:11:16 behind the first finisher. Therefore, 11 x 18 + 16 x 0.3 (0.3 point/sec) = 202.8, his points were 3500-202.8 = 3297.
An athlete’s points accumulate over the course of the calendar year and only their highest three AGR (Age Group Ranking) point totals will count toward their AWA status. If there were 3,000 athletes in the age group M40-44 last year in IRONMAN 70.3 events, the number of AWA slots would be 300, there would be 30 gold level athletes, 120 silver level athletes, and 150 bronze level athletes.
- There are three levels of All World Athletes: Gold for athletes at the top 1%, Silver for the top 5% and Bronze for ones at the top 10%. And the points are accumulated over throughout the calendar year.
- An athlete can achieve All World Athlete status in one or all of the following categories: OVERALL (measures an athlete’s performance in both IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 races), IRONMAN, and IRONMAN 70.3.
- The points given to each finisher decrease based on finish time behind the first finisher in each age group and only the highest three performances point totals will count toward their AWA status.
- If you win your age group in IRONMAN, you are awarded 5,000 points. And all athletes who race in this event will receive base participation (minimum) points 1,000. If you win your age group in IRONMAN 70.3, you are awarded 3,500 points. And all athletes who race in this event will receive base participation points 700.
IRONMAN All World Athlete enjoy a variety of on-site benefits at most races, including priority AWA packet pickup line at athlete check-in and AWA logo on swim cap and race bib. Additionally, IRONMAN provides welcome packs to the AWA athletes such as exclusive bike stickers and keychains. In 2020-2021, there are total 82 Taiwanese athletes who earned AWA qualification throughout the calendar year. We sincerely hope to see more Taiwanese athletes in the future races. While the challenges may be significant, when you cross that finish line, you will feel like every moment was worth it to hear the announcer say: “You are an IRONMAN!”